Saturday, October 6, 2012

Home is Not the House Itself by Guest Blogger Tracy Steel


I am delighted to have guest blogger Tracy Steel from One Degree Ministries encouraging and inspiring us with her words today!


Home is Not the House Itself
by Tracy Steel




Our recent move across state lines was a challenging one for my children. Katie’s heart has only known one home. So when our new home was finally ready, the children’s rooms were the first to be unboxed and arranged.



In fact, I couldn’t wait to show them their new rooms. My heart was blessed as they rushed in and saw their beloved toys and beds. They knew they were finally home. The wait was over. Their expressions and giggles said it all.



However, as much as my children love their new rooms, they will not stay in them for long. They love to follow me around the house. They long for my presence. To them, home is not their room, it is wherever mommy is!


The Father’s House
Jesus finished washing the feet of the Disciples. To add to their confusion, Jesus told them that He would be leaving them (John 13:33) and that they could no longer be with Him. 

Knowing the condition of their troubled hearts, Jesus said:


“Do not be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.”
~John 14:1-4 NIV (emphasis mine)


There is a room in the eternal house of God for those who have called on the name of Jesus to save them.



Now I know some of you are already wondering what the curtains in your room will look like, if you will have a queen or king size bed, or if you have a view of the Tree of Life from your kitchen window. Hang with me, I used to be an Interior Designer, and my imagination goes there sometimes…Scripture doesn’t go into detail about my room specs. So I need to STOP it!


Just keeping it real…

Home is not the House Itself
Please re-read the portion of Scripture I underlined above again. 

Did you catch what it says?

Whoa…


Our home is where the presence of God, His Son Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are. We, the forgiven and redeemed, will dwell with them for forever, and ever, and ever.



I needed to be reminded of this and to remember where I am headed.


And the present isn’t it.

Our wait for our new home will end.

Jesus is in Heaven.

He is preparing…

He will come back and take us home.


Through the eyes of my children, I caught a glimpse of what awaits. My home is not just a room.

Jesus is where my home is.

When I see Him face to face, my expression will say it all…

Blessings, Tracy

“Long Way Home” by Steven Curtis Chapman 






Tracy is proudly married to Chad, a pilot in the United States Air Force. Whenever they are not being relocated, she loves to drink green tea and watch re-runs of LOST. She also enjoys chasing their two children, Jackson (3) and Katherine (1), throughout their toy-infested home. Tracy graduated from Phoenix Seminary in 2005, and served as the Director of Student Women at Scottsdale Bible Church from 2005-2007. She is also the author of Images of His Beauty, a newly released Bible Study, for young women who struggle with self-image issues and eating disorders. You can find out more information about the study and follow her blog at www.onedegreeministries.com. You can also connect with her on Facebook at www.facebook.com/OneDegreeMinistries, or chat with her via twitter @tracy_steel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to have your comments so post away!