Sunday, September 11, 2011

We Will Never Forget


In Memory of Kevin M. McCarthy

My Darlings Teagan & Isla,
Today is the tenth anniversary of September 11th. One day you will know the full story of what happened on this fateful day that changed not only The United States of America but the entire world. Everyone remembers what they were doing that day. We all have our Story. Here is mine.

Brian, Gere and I watched our television in disbelief initially thinking a small, private plane had flown into one of the towers. Until the second plane hit.

Just months before I'd worked in the building next to the towers on a Goldman Sacs project. 1 Liberty Plaza was so damaged that day that it was torn down. And the World Trade Center Marriott was my home for a month until I got moved to corporate housing. It too is gone. I used to walk through the towers daily and we met for drinks in the bar on the top floor thinking it had the very best views of NYC. My eye doctor and hair stylest were in the basement. Even though we had all the perks with this project I asked to be released after nine months because I missed Brian. I felt I was missing out on the life I was trying to build there. I questioned that decision when I got laid off because I was not on a project just a few months later. But God is so good. I am so thankful I was not in NY that day.

I burst into tears when the first tower fell. I didn't need anyone to tell me there were casualties. I knew there just wasn't enough time for everyone to get out. Fighter jets buzzed over us throughout the day a reminder that our guys (like your fighter jet pilot uncle that we are so proud of) were up there doing their best to protect us. Later that day I went to a church. It just felt like the most comforting place to be. I sat with strangers. In a daze.

As events unfolded that morning it was Nana Mo's calm amidst the storm that helped me. We didn't know if the entire country was under attack. We didn't know if we would be able to see each other again. But her faith was so strong and secure that we were absolutely certain that as a family we loved each other and would meet in Heaven.

We are still in that daze, watching old coverage tonight. It doesn't seem real. The pain becomes fresh and raw again. But we started a new, happy tradition today of taking you two along with neighbor Madeline to take milk and cookies to our fire department.



I was soooooooooo proud of your two year old self Teagan! You walked right up to the Chief and thanked him, handing him the "card" you made. And when another fireman thanked you for the milk you said, "MY milk is goooooooooooooooooood!!!"


You screamed with delight when they took you back to see the fire trucks. Here you are looking proud as punch!


I love you girls. I hope you grow up with a heart of gratitude for the freedoms and protection we have. I pray you will love to serve others with a glad and happy heart!
- Mommy
>

1 comment:

  1. Great post!
    This post made me teary eyed.

    P.S Thanks for the lovely comment.
    I'm following you already.
    keep in touch.

    http://www.momfashionworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to have your comments so post away!