Friday, April 15, 2011

I Am Able

Hello friends! Today I am guest blogging on CMF's site and really excited! A big welcome to any readers who may have popped over from there. Teagan's Travels is our family blog that captures the adventures of an Irish father, American mom, our two year old daughter Teagan and the arrival of our baby who will be here THIS Wednesday! Topics include those concerning motherhood, toddler fun, our home, entertaining and our faith. This is a place where I hope others will be encouraged and where I find encouragement from readers too. I hope you will stay a while and come back often!

Recently my pregnant self had a long day where Teagan just simply could not and would not take a nap for any amount of love or money. After giving her a lengthy dinner that included almost as much applesauce in her hair as in her tum it was time for a bath. As I ran here and there prepping her and the tub my husband passed me in the hall and asked jovially, "Are you having fun?" Hmpf? Fun? I grumpily answered sure before making my way back to the bath. I still had bills to pay, the kitchen to clean, laundry to fold, rooms to tidy and a neglected to do list for the new baby's arrival to review before I could even think about calling it a day. Fun wasn't exactly what I was having and I was pretty miffed that (on this particular night) he wasn't helping out! But as I made my way briskly down the hall I felt God giving a powerful tug to my heart that almost made me stop in my tracks. It said simply: I.Am.Able.

That simple phrase took me back to a bible study I had with a great group of mom friends about a year ago where we talked about this very topic while studying Lysa TerKeurst's Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl. The gist of the study focused on how it is hard to stay in the moment at times, to be thankful for a sticky table and endless cycle of dishes to wash. But we talked about the power of reframing our thinking so we could be blessed with a new perspective, one that brings joy and thankfulness for all we have and all we do.

So on this night I was able. Instead of being grumpy I opened my eyes to a new perspective. After all, here I was giving my precious two-year old daughter a Dora Bubble bubble bath which gave her such joy as she splished, splashed, played and giggled with delight. It was my chance to wash her little ears and toes and tummy. A chance to marvel at how big she's gotten on the eve of her second birthday. Sure I was tired after a long day but I suddenly remembered those years when we struggled to have a baby and I would have given anything - any free time, any Saturday night, any amount of sleep just to have a little one look up at me with such joy in her eyes and call me Mommy.

As I settled in for a happy, relaxed bath time with Teagan I began to think of other things I am glad I am able to do. I am happy that I have a home to clean. I am so grateful that I have more than one set of clothes to wash...and while I am at it, a washer and dryer that work like a charm and make it easy. I learned from my days of living in a foreign country how difficult it can be to do one load of wash when you have to boil water on the stove, transfer it to a balcony outside where a low tech washer awaits and then wait for your clothes to dry during on a line...during monsoon season.

And those bills? That night I became thankful for money to pay them when times are tough on so many people in this economy. I became thankful I live in a place where we are safe from danger and war, where we can worship our God freely and without fear that we will be hurt or arrested. And on that night I really stretched my thinking and became thankful I could exercise my body on a planned walk the next morning. That even in my third trimester state that has me moving at a snail's pace that I have two legs that work.

So as we go in to this happy weekend I would love to hear from you! What sweet friends are you happy you are able to do today?

God, thank you so much for the many blessings great and small that you have given me in my life. Please help me to have a spirit of thankfulness and awareness as I move through my busy days.

Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

6 comments:

  1. You are inspiring. What a great post to start this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really always speak right to my mommy heart! As I steal a moment of time to catch up on days of emails, I see your post and it brings tears to my eyes and a reminder to enjoy this day! Enjoy the fussing toddler and the fussing newborn and be thankful for the precious gifts that are our children. Thank you for the reminder exactly when I needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Michelle for sharing how God moved in you that day! It reminds me to get over the little things that annoy me and turn them into joyful experiences. Wishing you a wonderful and eased delivery this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just the blog I needed. Kade and I had such a hard night last night. Bedtime battle. Tonight was totally different. I will have to remind myself that "I AM ABLE" and so blessed to be his mom the next time we have a hard night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this post. As I sit here w/4 weeks to go until Phillip's little sibling arrives I certainly have my days like that too. I try my best to remember to be grateful but slip more often than I would like. Beautifully written and went straight to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...can I relate to your post. And it does take telling myself to find the joy in the moment to change my heart. Thank for an encouraging post and for sharing it at What Joy Is Mine.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to have your comments so post away!