In Kaitlyn's Memory
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
John 14: 27
I had planned an Easter themed Friday Five today but we received sad news that a precious girl we've been praying for passed away on Thursday. Today's Friday Five is dedicated in Kaitlyn's honor to help spread awareness of the disease she had. She was a sweet, brave little girl and her short life touched so many of us.
Kaitlyn's Korner is an amazing blog where her parents captured their family's life since she was diagnosed with Niemann-Pick Disease (Type A), a rare, fatal genetic disease with no cure when she was just nine months old.
FIVE FACTS ABOUT NIEMANN-PICK DISEASE
1. Niemann-Pick Disease is a lysosomal storage disease that affects metabolism and is caused by genetic mutations. In order for a child to have Niemann-Pick Disease, both parents must be carriers of a genetic mutation causing Niemann-Pick.
2. There are three types of Niemann-Pick Disease, Types A, B and C. Kaitlyn had Niemann-Pick Disease, Type A, the most severe of the three types.
3. Those with Type A typically live to be only 2 to 4 years of age.
4. There are approximately 1,200 cases of type A and B worldwide with the majority being Type B.
5. There is currently no treatment or cure for the disease.
When our good friend's Dave and Shanna went through their scare with Caleb's illness which sounded very similar, we began to truly understand the impact this disease has on a child and his/her loved ones. Since then they have been in our prayers and at our weekly bible study we would often give each other status updates on her condition and lift them up in prayer. Our hearts go out to the Bourgeault family and we pray that the love of those around them and the love of God, comfort them in the days ahead.
If you have a moment, please add them to your prayers too and consider donating to the Niemann-Pick Disease Foundation in memory of Kaitlyn Bourgeault, Type A. Click here to donate.
God's blessings on you and your family this weekend. If you have a special prayer request please leave a comment below or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
In Jesus' Name, Michelle