Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Dodging Fiery Darts - Guest Post by Michelle Carson


Dodging Fiery Darts

Recognizing and loosening the footholds the enemy places in our minds.

Guest Post by Michelle Carson




I remember it like it was yesterday. My palms sweaty, my head pounding, I stepped on to the small square as the little old lady in front of me began to read off the numbers, "Quarter pound gain!" was yelled into the room. I was 12 years old and attending my weekly TOPS weight loss meeting. This was not my first rodeo, as I had been attending these meetings with my mom and grandmother since I was a toddler, and became an active member at age nine.
            
Size and weight were always the issues that coughed in my face when I woke every morning. They were always there, reminding me that I was different. Growing up I lived in a wonderful Christian home with two loving parents and labored under the delusion that since I had invited Jesus into my heart at the age of 5, I was untouchable to Satan. So, with every fleeting thought of unworthiness, I began to crumble from the inside.
            
Due to my overwhelming insecurities, I shied away from everything. My mother grew so concerned she threatened to take me to the doctor. My dad said I would grow out of it. And what did I think? I can't remember a day in my childhood that I didn't believe everybody would be much better off without my presence. I never voiced that of course. Those thoughts weren't what good, Christian girls thought about, right?
            
My story is not new to most people. The majority of us have encountered some form of body image unraveling at some point in our delicate lives. Maybe you were the skinny girl or perhaps you had curly hair when straight was "in". Satan has a way of finding the things that hinder us most and exposing them like a raw wound. This is not the most fun thing to think about, but it is of the utmost importance to talk about.

"The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to the full, till it overflows)." John 10:10 Amplified

            
The fight we fight is against principalities and darkness, NOT our wardrobe nor the scale. Satan finds us at our weakest and plants a small thought that will grow into a stronghold. As daughters of the King, we must be aware of these thoughts and have a plan to "weed" our spiritual garden. 

Here are 5 truths to remember as we fight the fight of our very lives:

  •     God knit each of us together to be different. Psalm 139:13
  •     You, and only YOU, have been created to fulfill a specific purpose. 1 Peter 4:10-11
  •     Our fight is against more than the flesh. Ephesians 6:12
  •     Satan deals in chaos, clutter and distraction. John 10:10
  •     The pursuit of perfection on this Earth is futile and weakens us. John 14:2-3
           
We must learn to recognize the footholds that are placed in the mind and speak the Truth of God's Word to banish them. Things such as self derogatory statements can be a foothold that evolves into a stronghold such as anxiety or depression. Allowing Satan even a corner of our mind will keep us trapped in bondage and unable to fully devote our lives to Christ and His higher calling.

We as a society of women have been plagued by these issues for far too long. Think about this: what would happen if we all stood for what we believed in, unwavering even if our jeans felt tight or we woke up with an enormous pimple that day? What if we truly took the time to dive into the character of God and accept His unending love for us? The day that you can throw your arms up, lean your head back and expose your heart to the Almighty, allowing Him to fill and fulfill you, is the day that we become a formidable force in God's kingdom.

Blessings, 
Michelle


Michelle Carlson is a totally devoted follower of Christ and wife and mother. Michelle battled with negativity and low self esteem for most of her life, eventually facing her demons and losing over one hundred pounds. The result of this was two books on healthy weight loss, Your Guide to Lasting Weight Loss and The Little Fit Book. Michelle is passionate about empowering all women to live their lives to the fullness of their God ordained purpose and make the world a better place for our daughters. Michelle lives in Baytown, Texas and writes about emotional and spiritual health, nutrition, weight loss and body image.

1 comment:

  1. This is so true. So many of us, if not all of us women have struggled in these areas since we were young, maybe still do at times.

    Thank you so much for the opportunity to link up with you this week. I appreciate you sharing your posts over at WholeHearted Home during the past few weeks also. Such shared encouragement, isn't there?!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to have your comments so post away!