Monday, March 7, 2011

A ShamRockin' Good Time

Welcome to March everyone! I love this month for its celebration of St. Patrick's Day which reminds me of why I fell in love with my husband from Co. Galway and everything about The Emerald Isle! I've spent the last few days getting in the Paddy's spirit by listening to The Waterboys' Fisherman's Blues, Linger by The Cranberries, anything by U2, and Ordinary Man by Christy Moore.

This has me reliving memories of our nine years in Colorado that we shared with a large group of Irish that also made it their home away from home. They were and still are so precious to us. Words can't describe how much we miss them! Some of our best times were shutting down our beautiful town for the night with a good ole Irish sing-a-long. I'll always think of them whenever I hear The Wild Rover or The Fields of Athenry! And of course we miss all our family and friends in Ireland and can't wait to see them this summer when we go home with the babies for Ita's wedding!

In the meantime, do you know the story behind St. Patrick's Day? With the United State's love of green beer, lively revelers and parades it is easy to miss that this day started as a religious holiday in Ireland many years ago. St. Patrick is the most famous patron saint of Ireland and was sent there to teach the Irish about Christianity. According to folklore he used the three leafed shamrock to explain the concept of the Holy Trinity, or the unity of God our Father, Son and Holy Ghost in one divine being.

Originally, the colour associated with Saint Patrick was blue. Isn't that a surprise? But over the years the color green and its association with Saint Patrick's Day grew. The phrase "the wearing of the green" means to wear a shamrock on one's clothing.

Also surprising to me is the discovery that American school children created the incessant pinching of those who forget to wear green on this festive day, not the Irish. Ouch! Wish I had that little tidbit at my fingertips when I was in the first grade, thank-you-very-much Trey Smith!

I'll be making a few posts this St. Patrick's season including one with a great recipe for Irish Soda Bread passed on to me by my sweet Japanese friend Michiko who is also married to an Irish Brian, beer bread, fun kiddie crafts, parades and more so stay tuned! In the meantime, I'd love to hear how you and yours will celebrate this season!


Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

1 comment:

  1. No pictures of sweet Tea?? :) Although, another great post!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to have your comments so post away!