Saturday, February 18, 2012

DIY: Pop of Shamrock Color Vase Fillers!

A few weeks ago I became inspired to show some love to two of my candle holders after reading about the beautiful seasonal ways Amanda from My Heart's Desire uses her hurricanes. What an amazing transformation she makes in her home using very simple materials to create a festive look! In the past I've just been bored to bits by my little hurricanes and without a clue on what to do with them. But after reading Amanda's post I gave mine a spruce up and am ready to show them off on my mantel for the upcoming St Patrick's Day!

Here's a little tutorial on how I achieved this look. First, I didn't like any of the vase fillers available at my Michael, Hobby Lobby or A.C. Moore. Instead, I took a plain (and cheap!) bag of lentils that we had and used some pretty olive green metallic paint I had for a previous project. After I added the paint Teagan had a blast shaking them with all her might in a sturdy Ziploc bag! Finally, I put them out to air dry on a piece of wax paper for about an hour though they dried super fast even without having to turn them. 


Once they were dry I added the lentils to the vases. I used a full bag for each vase but felt it needed a bit more. My husband thought this picture was funny as I have "borrowed" one of Isla's toys to give the candle more height. Thank you letter "E" from the Alpahbet Train!

Finally, I added a bit of gorgeous ribbon I got at 40% off with my trusty coupon at Hobby Lobby a few weeks ago. Here's the finished product with our Irish buddy Padraig. See him bringing the turf in? Brian's parents have the most amazing stove on their Irish farm that burns this form of fuel! I love the way it smells and it brings back happy memories.

That's it! Easy-schmeasy, inexpensive and it adds so much color! This green holiday is huge in our family especially because it is a fun way to feel connected to our family and friends in Ireland! And I can't lie. As much as I have pink-a-fied my toddler's world she insists that her favorite color is green. Soooo funny. I can actually hear my little Teagan right now. She's having breaky with Daddy and telling him in a super enthusiastic voice, "Green is my favorite...but Daddy! Greeeeeeeeeeen is my favvvvorite!!!"  I think we got it little Tea. So off I go. We are getting in the verde mood and I can't wait to reveal our Paddy's decor this week!

Have a great Sunday everyone!
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to have your comments so post away!