Thursday, September 13, 2012

Claiming Whitespace: How a Busy Mom Connects With Jesus

I wish I had a bedroom like this...or better yet, like my friend Leah's. It's beautiful. Spa-like. She has popped in just enough burlap and wood to make me feel like I am in a cozy lakeside B&B ...or spread of a design magazine. 

I feel calm just peeking in long enough to pull a curious toddler back into the living room during a busy play date...



Wouldn't this be a great place to meet Jesus for some quiet one-on-one time?

But the reality for me, and I suspect many other moms, is that life is more hectic than this space. Just taking today as an example, I have laundry that needs to be folded and put away while a little one tugs on my arm to play Fireman Mom and rescue a pretend kitty from a tree. Floors are sticky from the baby throwing her breakfast on the floor, bills need to be paid...

I used to feel guilty for days that ran like this. For not having serene moments where I meet Jesus. You know those moments? I read about them. I ask myself where I can get me some o' that peace?  

But I woke up late today. I quickly read my devotional and said a few short prayers throughout the day. But I long for true quiet time with Him. 

With no distractions. 

Without multi-tasking. 

Still, today I give myself some grace. My whitespace, or my alone time with Jesus, comes in a different form during this season of my life. 

If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”
Luke 11:13 (ESV)

I love all the blessings God has given this wife and mom of two under the age of four. I don't want to miss a second of this life He has given me. So this post isn't about how hard life is. Just the opposite. It is about Him. Craving Him. 

Like newborn infants, long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up into salvation—
1 Peter 2:2

For now, my connection with Him - that rejuvenation I long to claim, comes in the moments when I am not still. It is usually while I am on my knees...not praying...scrubbing. 

When I am folding tiny shirts and pants. 

When I have a moment to lay quiet on my bed while the girls nap. 

In those moments, He feeds my tired self with hope. With excitement and gratitude. I hear Him. I pray. I let my mind wander and make note of scripture I want to look up later, or ideas for a blog that He has inspired, such as this one. 

God, thank you for all the ways You use our days to draw us to You. We praise You for dwelling within us. Help us to quieten our hearts so we can hear your soft, still voice and be blessed. 
In Jesus' Name, Amen. 

Call to Action: Create your own white space, your meeting time with Jesus. Listen to what He has to say to your heart. Journal it, be inspired by it and meet Him there often to receive His blessings. 

Your space may be walking through the woods, in a quiet chair in your house, in a coffee shop. What does your white space look like? Do you think it will change as you go through other seasons of life?


Blessings, Michelle


Additional Scripture
Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.
Psalm 119:105 (ESV)

But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

Matthew 6:6 (ESV)



I am linking up today in Faith Barista's Faith Jam!

9 comments:

  1. Michelle I really enjoyed your post. I agree that finding a peaceful place to connect can be difficult. For me it's usually in the shower, maybe bc my little one can't get me in there;) It makes me smile to know that you find my bedroom so calming:) For a long time I always wanted my room to be a white space. You're spirituality is inspiring.
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweet, friend! I love that we all find a different place to have some peace and hear our own thoughts...especially with busy babies running around our toes! Missing you and hope your trip was super fun!

      Hugs, Michelle

      Delete
  2. This was a wonderful post. Ah don't rush these days away too fast. Keep enjoying them without even trying to find that time of quiet. Too quickly they are grown and you will have more time of quiet than you have Quiet Time,lol ;-)

    I had my first month alone with just my husband. Of course, he was gone for 12 hours each day. It was very quiet and for now I am thankful that my children are home.

    This post really was wonderfully expressed as you shared. I don't even remember having my quiet time much of the time when my children were little. I would read the bible to them and many days that doubled for my time with the Lord.

    Thanks so much for taking the time to link up at Haven of Rest this week.

    Blessings Michele.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your beautiful encouragement, Judith! I am so blessed to be able to stay home with my girls. They are just growing up so very fast. Some days Teagan, my three year old, seems like she is going on 20! I just wish I could freeze these moments forever. Thanks for the reminder of how precious time is today.

      Hugs, Michelle

      Delete
  3. I love this! I walk in to my room too frequently and wish it were more of a retreat from the craziness of little ones and busy schedules. But for now it's more like the meeting place of all things chaotic! My quiet time with Christ is rarely kid-free or noise-free but when I'm making an effort to invite Him into our lives, He blesses me anyway and brings peace to my heart. Thank you for the reminder that it doesn't have to look perfect to be acceptable to the Lord. I'm stopping by from the Sunday Parenting Party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So so true! And you know what? I still don't have serenity even though my kids are 4 and 7:) But I've learned to create a quiet place in my own heart where I find God in the midst of chaos. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "It is usually while I am on my knees...not praying...scrubbing." The great prayer warrior Brother Andrew said that his most precious times of worship came in his service of the mundane. His kitchen chapel. May all we do bring us closer to God. I visited from Be Not Weary today, and I'm glad I did :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle, this is so real, honest, genuine...a "white space" devotion. : )
    At my stage of life, I have much more time for long, uninterrupted times with Jesus, but I also fight other kinds of interruptions and temptations to put it off until later. At every stage of life it requires perseverance and priority. Bless you, Gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this. A year ago I decided I would try and get up before my kids to have a devotion. After a couple days it lead to me nearly passing out from exhaustion. I really appreciate when people talk about quiet times happening at different way in different seasons. Not even my 3 yo son sleep through the night right now, and of course neither does my baby. If I want to get up before then I need to get up at 5. At 6 they hear me and wake up grumpy. And since we rarely can get them to sleep before 9... the only time I have alone with my husband is between about 9 and when we go to sleep 10-11. So, thank you, this is a real blessing for me.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to have your comments so post away!