Friday, August 3, 2012

Friday Five: Bible Stories Toddlers and Preschoolers Love!


Public domain photo

Happy Friday everyone!! 


This morning I was thinking about what to write for a Friday Five as we read stories from Teagan's The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name. 





The answer was right in front of me as Teagan requested her favorite stories over and again. So here it is! I am excited to share the top five bible stories my little girls love to hear:


1) The Young Hero and the Horrible Giant (Dave & Goliath) - 1 Samuel 17


2) God's Messenger (Jonah & the Whale) - Jonah 1-4; Hebrews 1:1-2


3) The Forgiving Prince (Joseph  & His Coat of Many Colors) - Genesis 37-46


4) Daniel and the Scary Sleepover (Daniel in the Lion's Den) - Daniel 6


5) The Captain of the Storm (Jesus and the Storm on the Lake) - Mark 4 & Matthew 8


Yesterday we had a teachable moment...not for the girls, but for  their mom. An insurance adjuster came to inspect our roof. God answered prayers with the adjuster's recommendation that our insurance company replace all and not just a portion of the roof! I can't tell you what a huge relief that was to hear!

We stood chatting at the door about the man's excitement that his first child, a daughter, will be born later this summer. What a happy blessing! Just then Teagan tapped me on the leg and asked if she could ask this man a question. She said, "Um, mister Man, do YOU have Jesus in your heart?" 

I think he was so shocked that at first he wasn't sure what to say. But after a moment's silence he said, "Yes. I have Jesus in my heart." And we talked about how that was great because Jesus would be with him wherever he goes. 

OK, so perhaps this is a little bit of mom bragging. Forgive me for that. But I don't think anyone ever got hurt by hearing her mama tell her how proud she is of her when she does something well. In addition, this moment drove home to me why we read these stories to our babies. 

Because they listen. 
They learn. 
And they share the news of Christ's love...even if they are just wee ones themselves. Pretty cool, right? Praise God!


So now, I hope you will share with me, what are your kid's favorite bible stories? 


How do you like to teach them about these? Do you have a favorite bible to recommend, Veggie Tale movie or other resource? Do tell! 


Have a great weekend everyone. 
Blessings, Michelle

2 comments:

  1. My baby is 21 but when she was little, we watched Veggie Tales. The neat thing is even at 21 she still likes Veggie Tales. I am visiting from the Sister to Sister blog hop.

    In Christ,
    Dawn
    www.dawnwhitmorespeaks.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dawn! Thank you so much for stopping by! I've loved reading your blog and checking you out on Encouragement Cafe too! I have to admit...I am a big Veggie Tales fan:)! It is so well done and clever...and those Silly Songs songs just get stuck in my head.

      So excited about Dana's new Sister to Sister blog hop. Hope you'll be back here for my Destination: Inspiration blog hop on Tuesdays. We'd love to have you!
      Michelle

      Delete

We'd love to have your comments so post away!