Wednesday, August 15, 2012

What I Know Now


Hey friends! We've made it to Thursday. I can't believe how quickly these summer days are flying. Today I am thrilled to write as part of 

Faith Jam

Faith Jam is a link up where writers of faith are going to share some amazing stories. In this week's Jam we are sharing letters to our younger selves on what we know now about the faith journey we are on. I hope you'll take time to visit her site and read some of the entries. And if you've hopped over here from the Jam, you are so welcome!

My name is Michelle and I am wife to my Irish husband Brian, mom to preschooler Teagan and baby Isla. It's always an adventure around here where I like to share my family, faith, advocacy for Compassion International, struggle with infertility, newbie homeschooling adventures and always a mishap or two. Lately I also share about the very present grief I have in loosing my father, mother and stepmother all within months of each other. I pray this blog provides a means of encouragement to women by showing them God's love. 

Ready? Let's Jam! 
Here's my letter to my twenty year old self:

Dear Michelle, 
I look at you now and my older self wants to hug you. You'll spend too many years searching for significance, sure that the world can't accept you as you are. Life is good, but it seems the wind carries you on a roller coaster of emotions and crisis. You float from person to group to organization, all in a quest to find the missing link that will lead to a peace that eludes you. 

You will try "church" but feel like an outsider sitting in pews, sure that those "perfect" people inside its doors could never experience the struggles in your heart. But take heart, dear self! God wants you to know you don't need to be perfect to worship Him. He will help you discover you were wonderfully made and are already special to Him and so many others He has and will place in your life! 

Even while you stray, God will not give up on you. He will call you back to Him through a series of trials that bring you to your knees. But in the process? He will bless you beyond your imagination with a wonderful husband and friend, beautiful, treasured children, exceptional friendships and always, the love of your family. 

One day, you will be able to reconcile your life in the world with your faith and find peace through being your authentic self, a child of God. It will surprise you most of all to find Jesus has called you to share your faith through the written word. But in accepting this calling you will experience the greatest joy and purpose ever. So hang in there. And stay away from musicians!!

In Love, 
Your older...and sometimes, wiser 
Self

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful. The events of our lives are what shapes us into now. As I read through the blogs on this Faith Jam, I am discovering many sisters in Christ who can relate to one another as we look back to our younger selves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I am so grateful to have more Christian sisters in this world, connected through the power of technology. I just read your testimony! Wow! What an amazing inspiration you are! I am honestly floored by the power of God to reveal His will to us. I so can't wait to learn more about you and am excited about your new release! Hope you'll be back here on Teagan's Travels for our Destination: Inspiration linky party.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful......... being your authentic self, a child of God....... oh how wise. I am discovering that I relate to what you are writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I tried to post this comment on your site but couldn't:

      I love this post! It is so true that God will use that pain, our grief, our vulnerability to build a connection with others, to "do" life together. And in that way, indeed, He lets love in so much more. Bless you for sharing! I hope you'll be back on Teagan's Travels this Tuesday for my Destination: Inspiration linky party. I'd love to learn more about you and the ministry God has called you to.


      In Jesus' Name,
      Michelle

      Delete
  3. Love this, Michelle! I am going to try to do this tomorrow. I think it will be fun and thought provoking. Glad I saw your reference to it on She Facebooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, I loved reading about your sweet self as a young bride. Thanks for your courage in sharing what is an all-too common obstacle for many marriages! I was so encouraged and know others will be as well!

      Hugs sweet friend,
      Michelle

      Delete
  4. What a sweet letter, and much like the one I would have written to myself. Thanks for linking up at Fellowship Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen! Thank you my friend for visiting and linking to the Saturday's Sister to Sister linkup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dana! You always inspire me. I remember seeing you at She Speaks and thinking, "I HAVE to get to know this wise, faith-filled woman!" We didn't get to talk enough in the conference but I am grateful for the new friendship our blogs have fostered.

      Delete

We'd love to have your comments so post away!