Friday, August 17, 2012

God's Summer Treasures

Yesterday, after a fun morning at the park, Teagan, Isla and I cut into the sweetest, juiciest piece of watermelon I'd ever had. It took me back to my childhood with memories of my mom. It was one of her favorite treats in the summertime. 

The smells and sights of summer came rushing into my grateful heart: dill growing in my friend's garden, playing for hours in the sunshine, flowers peaking their heads out of a tall grass, swimming in a mountain spring with the icy cold water shocking our warm bodies as we jumped in... 


Today I thank God for this watermelon. 

I thank Him for the simple treat that brightens our summer days while providing a means of nutrition as well. And for me? It also gave me a sweet trip down memory lane. 

All that in a piece of fruit! How great is our God?! 


And God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food.

Genesis 1:28-30 (ESV)


Think about our current drought here and the famine in Africa. How many in our world have never had the pleasure of tasting a watermelon? What would we do if it disappeared? 

Did you know in Japan the humble cousin of a watermelon, a version of a cantaloupe, costs over $400! There melons are packed oh-so-prettily and given as special gifts. I can tell you when I lived there as a college student and English teacher I couldn't afford melon...and I did miss it, indeed!


Dear God, thank you for all the treasures you filled our world with. Help us to be mindful of these today. To take a moment to rejoice in simple blessings and give you the glory! In Jesus' Name, Amen.

What are some of God's summer treasures you are thankful for today? What sweet memories do they bring back for you?

Blessings, Michelle

3 comments:

  1. Mango. You started it with the watermelon. :o) I'm blessed with its flavor and wonderful smell.

    Thank you my friend for visiting and linking to the Saturday's Sister to Sister linkup. You're appreciated.

    Take care.

    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Totally wanting mango now! So loving your Saturday link up party and am heading there now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are not often thankful for food we expect to be able to easily buy and eat here in the States!! You couldn't get many foods that we normally eat overseas, yet, you can get food unheard of here. I don't remember ever having watermelon or cantelope as a child, in Asia. I had never had a salad or zucchini for that matter either.

    Wonderful spiritually thought provoking post.

    Thank you for linking up over at Haven of Rest this past week.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to have your comments so post away!